Again, we see a Roman soldier standing nearby as the Apostle Paul pens these words and we notice he is wearing appropriate head gear, because when people are swinging swords and spiked balls around, it is a pretty good idea to protect the head. Today we want to transfer that image to the spiritual realm and talk about "taking up" the helmet of salvation.
Salvation means "to deliver" and it comes as a 3 phase process in the Christian's life.
1. Justification - (Past) We are justified by faith apart from the law. We are delivered from the penalty of sin. Romans 3:28, John 3:16, Romans 5:8
2. Glorification - (Future) We are glorified at the point of death because we are delivered from the presence of sin. Ephesians 5:25-27, Revelation 21:1-4
3. Sanctification - (Present) Taking up the helmet of salvation. The daily Christian life being conformed to the image of Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:18, Romans 12:1-2
How are we delivered from the "power" of Sin? Ephesians 2:8-10
1. Grace - God's undeserved favor. We do nothing to earn God's grace.
2. Faith - We plug into God's power through faith.
Good works do not save us but if we are saved, good works will follow.
How do we grow in our faith? John 17:14-17Jesus prayed to the Father to keep us from the evil one.